Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tangled Nightmare and Coconut Dreams

Well, I stepped out of my comfort zone of navajo plying last night. 

At first it went okay.  My singles plied.  I'm kinda happy, though maybe it could have used more twist.  I'll be setting that today.

July 2008 021

But I ended up with a bunch left over on one bobbin.  So, I thought I'd get tricky and try to 2-ply it onto itself, and in the process of trying to figure out how to do that, it turned into this..

July 2008 023

I managed to salvage some of it onto my swift, but it's still all twisted on itself, and ugh.  Some of it, I just haven't the life in me to try to untangle.  And the rest I'm not sure what to do with. 

July 2008 026

I find myself wondering, why, oh why, does anybody ply this way?  What do people do when they end up with a bunch of hard work still left as a single on a bobbin and a bobbin full of 2-ply?  It's not enough left to make anything major, but it's still a bunch of hard spun single.  When I navajo ply, all my single gets plied into 3-ply.  

I'm lurking about hoping to score some more Twisted in the next update, which could happen anytime between yesterday and next Wednesday.  Yeah, I'm not obsessed and hovering and refreshing the page incessantly, but I'm hoping to catch it serendipitously. 

In other craziness, I found this package of coconut in the cupboard, probably from some well-intentioned plan of making one of the bazillion things I baked over the holidays that just didn't make it into the queue.  So, yesterday, I made a coconut cream pie.  I licked the pan.  It was tasty.  I'm just going to need some whipped cream to serve the whole pie.  The pie took 5 egg yolks.  So, I had these egg whites sitting here, and still 3/4 bag of coconut  I look at the bag, and there's a recipe for macaroons (which I LURVE) and lo and behold, they require 4 egg whites.   I used some of the egg white to paint on the pie crust before I baked it, so there was likely around 4 egg whites left in there.  So, of course, I HAD to make the macaroons last night.  I mean, I couldn't throw out those glorious egg whites, and I had to use up the coconut before the ants could find it.  So, I was being frugal.  Yeah.  that's it.  Macaroon Frugal, that's me.

July 2008 006 July 2008 004 July 2008 002
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

spininmamma4 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spininmamma4 said...

For your plied yarn- you can run it through again to add more twist- that's a piece of cake! Looks great for the first try. Funny- for me navajo plying is what I'm not good at :-) For the leftover- you can wind it around your wrist (there's pictures somewhere online of andean plying) or you can wind it into a center pull ball and ply from both ends. It can be a little tricky too, but if you keep it on your thumb so it doesn't roll around it won't usually get tangled. Lookin' good!
Sorry for deleting the first time- spelled things wrong and it looked weird!



Welcome to my HomeBody Blog.


It's All Good, but Some Is Better