Wednesday, January 11, 2012

More Reading

My Lord VikingMy Lord Viking by Jo Ann Ferguson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I liked this one. It wasn't as saucy as I usually expect and enjoy in a romance novel, but what it lacked in explicit sex, it more than made up for with the appearance of several well described and researched Norse gods throughout the story. I was especially surprised and pleased to see Frigg make an appearance. We all expect to see Loki and Odin around every corner (though I was surprised by the glaring absence of Thor), but having Frigg be the couple's cheerleader and champion felt very true to her strong, wise character. And Loki's character as the half-mad trixter was equally masterfully crafted.

The only thing that felt awkward and halting to the flow and really unnecessary was the whole bit of our hero being blinded, and then a rushed scene where this mysterious "blood enemy" happens to come into the room and is slain by our heroine. All described by a blind man who can't see what's going on. Seems to me, this blood enemy didn't even need to follow him to this time, it wasn't critical to the story at all and just seemed like it was pasted in there to fill space or something.

Otherwise, fun story, strong and honorable hero. Though I couldn't help but imagine him as a Disney cartoon guy, like in Beauty and the Beast, about 7 feet tall, crazy huge shoulders and chest, hands that could wrap a fist around your head, and tiny feet.



View all my reviews

No comments:



Welcome to my HomeBody Blog.


It's All Good, but Some Is Better